This position is responsible for providing educational support to the local clinicians, physicians and hospital staff. This position will also assist Steward West Corporate Leadership in the implementation, education, upgrades and post implementation support for clinical applications. This position will be responsible for meeting with clinical managers, management teams and users to optimize the use of current applications, monitor the level of application usage, design and implement educational needs, and route escalated service calls as needed. It will also be important for this position to develop good working relationships with divisional and departmental directors.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for providing Clinical Information Systems Application education and support of all user departments.
Will develop and maintain education plans for IS applications used by patient care providers.
Will ensure that proper documentation of education is completed by end users. Will schedule and conduct regular status meetings with key department, divisional and regional customer area management teams.
Will coordinate projects and provide support to all technical team members in IS.
Will conduct regular status meetings with staff and IS management related to application service levels, and quality.
Maintains application education materials as necessary.
Will ensure that sufficient detail knowledge of application systems is available within each facility to support all applications. This is done through manuals, conferences, experience, or training.
Assesses user and hospital’s systems needs and communicates these needs to management.
Conduct clinical applications educational rounding on all clinical units. This is to identify trends where additional education is needed. Create and disperse informative documentation related areas of weakness found in rounding. While rounding HIPPA violations will be documented and sent to the employee’s director.
Is available as a Clinical Applications Consultant. Attends meetings regularly held throughout the hospital (MU, STARS, Quality Outcome, MIB, etc.). Assist in verifying department processes, i.e. Transfer Process Task Force, Blood Bank, Lab Orders/downtime, and Dietary. Is a chart expert for DNV and CMS during surveys. Conducts research and chart audits regarding legal matters.
Manages systems according to Steward HealthCare and SJMC IT&S security policies and standards by: a.) Strictly following the established procedures of the account management process. b.) Keeping knowledgeable about access control, common user issues, troubleshooting, documentation requirements and basic system/application functionality.
Serves as an Information Systems resource including but not limited to answering questions regarding Information Systems.
Works with the IS divisional and regional management teams to develop a strategic information systems plan to meet the facilities’ needs.
Promotes and encourages positive relations with both internal and external customers.
Grants clinical applications access to end users once a completed Access Request form is received.
Communicates the purpose of Information Systems and its' role in the daily operation of the hospital.
Markets systems features to users.
Performs, participates and implements performance improvement activities within the department.
Identifies opportunities for waste reduction and department efficiency.
Works as a team member through interaction, assistance and demonstration.
Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
Supportive of the compliance program set forth by Steward Health Care and demonstrated by: a) Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Program. b) Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area. c) Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Privacy Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
Sets example to all staff in their daily activities. Other duties as assigned.
Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience with clinical and physician information systems with a detailed understanding of how the clinical and physician systems communicate / interact in an acute care hospital setting.
- RN is a mandatory requirement.
- This position requires prior clinical and physician support experience in a large hospital or IDN setting.
- Several years of relevant experience working closely with one of the major clinical and physician system’s providers, such as McKesson, Siemens, Cerner, or MEDITECH. Cerner systems experience is preferred.
- Possession / maintenance of a specialty clinical licensure is required.
- RN is a mandatory requirement.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education / experience in Computer Science, Healthcare Informatics or similar discipline is preferred.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, and demonstrated thorough presentation skills.
- Excellent leadership and teaching skills.
- Understanding of reporting tools functionality and capabilities.
- Understands DNV and HIPAA privacy and security.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Strong personal drive with ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, produce deliverables and perform effectively in a fast-paced environment with little or no direct supervision.