Driver - Behavioral Medicine - PRN
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse, assists in the provision of basic nursing care to mental health patients, and maintains a safe and clean environment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Consistently supports the hospital's Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Answers patient call lights, anticipates patient needs and makes rounds to assigned patients. Monitors hallways according to unit guidelines and patient needs. Regularly makes safety room and unit checks.
5. Reports to Registered Nurse any observed changes in condition or behavior of patients and unusual incidents.
6. Provides or assists with activities of daily living which may include: bed bath, oral hygiene, combing hair, dressing patient, changing bed linen, straightening room and other general care as necessary throughout the day.
7. Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, height, weight, and intake-output measurements. Documents patient information in the medical record as directed.
8. Prepares patients for meals, checks for correct tray and serves and assists with meals, checks or feed patients as needed. Distributes water and other nourishments to patients.
9. Transports patients to/from various departments. Collects and transports specimens to the correct departments as needed.
10. Sets firm limits when safety issues are involved. Shows empathy toward patients.
11. Performs emergency intervention techniques within hospital and TDH guidelines. Is aware of patients' rights related to seclusion and requests to leave.
12. Implements operation standards, which promote the maintenance of patient rights including, but no limited to:
· Clarification of patient expectations.
· Explanation of transportation processes. and requirements
· Maintenance of confidentiality of patient information.
· Ethical considerations.
· Proper handling and communication of patient complaints.
13. Practices appropriate safety measures in assisting patients with activities of daily living as required during transport, loading and unloading of patients.
14. Appropriately assists with the management of the required patient adaptive equipment in the provision of transportation services for ensuring patient safety.
15. Driving Specific Responsibilities:
a. Inspects vehicles daily.
b. Safely transports patients to and from program, following all applicable traffic laws.
c. Assists patients with boarding and departing vehicle.
d. Follows through on vehicle routing changes as needed to provide quality service delivery.
e. Maintains all vehicle records necessary to comply with all safety standards and routing.
f. Documents all pick up and drop off times ensuring safe and timely transportation service.
g. Communicates all reasons for no-shows to care coordinators and documents on transportation log.
16. Vehicle Safety:
· Inspects vehicles daily and immediately corrects any deficiencies, notifies director.
· Ensures that vehicles are equipped with first aid kit, fire extinguisher, step stool and state ID #.
· Completes highway patrol maintenance and safety inspection on all vehicles.
· Ensures routine preventative maintenance is performed according to guidelines.
17. Scheduling and Routing:
· Coordinates all routes, being proactive and ensuring quality service to patients.
· Meets on a daily basis with program assistant to review routing.
· Maintains compliance with transportation policies and procedures.
18. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
a. Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
b. Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
c. Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
19. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- At least two years experience working with mental health patients.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school graduate or G.E.D.
- Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to Behavioral Medicine in order to effectively communicate with physicians, team members, patients and families.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Must demonstrate a caring and friendly attitude towards patients and customers.
- Demonstrates good body mechanics and lifting techniques.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of preventive management of aggressive behavior.
- Understands impact of laws affecting mental health care.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 1704665