Lab Assistant AM Collections 0330-0700am
Performs clerical and technical functions to ensure smooth workflow of the department, such as processing specimens, sending specimens to reference labs, giving results to physicians and/or nurses. Processes all types of body fluid specimens (blood, urine, CSF, tissue, etc). Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of problems. Maintains adequate supplies. Performs clerical functions as faxing, filing, obtaining/adding information from/to computer, answering telephone, etc. Operates/maintains equipment. In some areas may be required to perform specialized duties such as issuing blood, collecting blood, set-up of testing procedures, insurance verification or assisting with autopsies.
SCOPE OF CARE:
The laboratory at SJMC is a full service laboratory fully accredited by The Joint Commission. Services include:
- Hermatology, Special Hematology incl. stains and semen analysis
- Urinalysis-biochemical dipstick and microscopic
- Chemistry-routine profiles, cardiac, toxicology, TDMs, immunoassays
- Microbiology-routine cultures, O&Ps, CSFs, and gram stains
- Transfusion Services-full service transfusioni center capable of blood typing, antibody screening and identification, compatibility testing, and rhogam testing. Blood products are stocked on site and available upon request at GCRBC.
- Reference Lab-testing not performed in-house is sent to a reference lab.
- Anatomic Pathology-Hisopathology/Cytopatholoy offers anatomic pathological diagnosis. Frozen sections performed in house. Rare antibody testing sent to a reference lab.
- Outpatient collection services
- Courier transportation services
Hours of Operation:
Clinical Laboratory Testing services - 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
Outpatient collection services - Monday - Friday 0730-1700
Anatomic Pathology services - Monday - Friday 0700-1700
Outreach Services - pickups Monday - Friday 0800-1830, weekend - STAT only, all testing 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Six months of experience in a laboratory or physician office or educational training in phlebotomy, healthcare field, or any relation areas.
License/Registration/Certification: Phlebotomy Certification Preferred
Education & Training: Completion of High School diploma or GED.
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, and patients and their families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Flexibility and initiative in workflow management.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED
Job Reference #: 1801807